I started crying when motivational speaker Eric Thomas, aka The Hip Hop Preacher, was giving his keynote presentation at Affiliate Summit in Las Vegas earlier this week. I could relate to him on so many levels. I know, you’re thinking what does a sheltered white girl from Nebraska have in common with a black preacher man from Detroit? More than you know:
- Eric’s mother became pregnant with him at age 17 as an unwed mother. My mother became pregnant with me at age 17. I then became pregnant with my son at age 17, an unwed mother as well.
- Eric’s father was not in his life. My father was around, but not an active part of my life.
- Eric has been married for 21 years and never cheated on his wife. I never cheated when married and hope to remarry someday and make it past the 20th anniversary mark.
- It took Eric 12 years to get his 4 year degree. It took me 9 years to get my Bachelor’s.
- Eric believes in Visions. I have my vision board in front of me right now.
- Eric wrote a book: The Secret to Success. I
hopeplan to write a book some day.
- Eric is a Christian. As am I. Growing up (in hickville remember), I was taught the different types of religion were Lutheran, Catholic, Methodist and the like where everyone believed in Jesus Christ. It wasn’t until I started traveling and meeting people from all over the world that I befriended Jews, Mormons, Buddhists, Antagonists and even Atheists.
So I suppose you are wondering why exactly was I crying? Read my next post for details. Read more about Eric Thomas’s keynote on Marketing Elf. Photo courtesy of Steve Hall of AdRants. See the tears in my eyes?