Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Customer service is so integral to business that it is all but assumed that any business that interacts in any way with customers will have some form of customer service. There are several reasons why this kind of service is key to the success of any business, especially smaller companies.
In This Post:
It is Key to Customer Loyalty
First of all, effective customer service can be thought of as integral to the development of customer loyalty which is a major aspect of effective business for a number of reasons.
- Alternatives. For one, customer loyalty can help to improve the fortunes of your business by simply depriving your competition of the custom that your loyal patrons would otherwise provide to them. More customers becoming loyal to your products directly translates to less customers available to be swung around to supporting your rivals. In this way, customer loyalty can help to boost your business by weakening your competition.
- Positive Word of Mouth. This effect can be further compounded by the positive effects of word of mouth that is being spread by your loyal customers. These customers are far more likely to recommend your business to a friend in need of your products, which means that you will further deprive your rivals of work and as you know, the less work your rivals get, the more power you will hold.
- Lifetime Worth. Finally, a single incredibly loyal customer would likely have a far, far higher lifetime worth for your company than a dozen customers that only buy from you very occasionally. That means that you really want to attract highly loyal customers as they will provide your business with the most potential cash over time, even if they don’t spend quite as much all in a single burst. Loyal customers are the cash cows that will continue providing a consistent influx of wealth to the company over an extended period of time.
Increases Customer Sales
Another brilliant reason that customer service is so impactful on the success of your business is that effective customer service can lead directly to increased regular sales for that customer, which can itself snowball into the beneficial effects of increased customer sales.
- Improved Trust. There is a premium on a customer’s ability to call in to customer service when they have an issue, especially when this ability is available consistently. Services such as a live answering service company make it possible for such services to be available around the clock and ensure that customers are never frustrated by the absence of this service. The trust that comes with this availability makes customers far more likely to take a chance with your service, which means that said customers will spend more on the business than they otherwise would.
- Ability to Solve Issues. This trust is not only dependent on the availability of these customer service options, but also on their effectiveness. Your company’s ability to reliably, effectively, and swiftly bring customer issues to a satisfying resolution is an important thing for this particular aspect of business and should always have an impact on how you deal with customer service.
- Familiarity with Brand. The trust that the customers associate with a single product might also be transferred to the brand that the product belongs to. Familiarity with a brand is an incredibly powerful thing because a single customer loyal to a brand could regularly buy most, if not all, of the products that is available in that brand.
- Customer Dependence. Further, the longer a customer stays loyal to your brand, the more dependent they will become on the familiarity of the products you provide. Humans are, by nature, creatures of habit, which means that once someone has been buying your products regularly for a time, they are unlikely to deviate from those products unless something forces them to. This dependence on your products is an incredibly useful and profitable thing that can help boost the sales produced by a single brand significantly.
It Improves Customer Moods
An effective customer service regime will also have a marked effect on the overall mood and mental state of your customers, causing them to feel more strongly positive feelings towards your company.
- Positive Effect on Reputation. This surplus of goodwill towards your company will often present itself in the form of positive reviews online and, as previously mentioned, good word of mouth, both of which will work to boost the reputation of your company and make your business seem more desirable.
- Strengthens Online Presence. These positive reviews online will work to boost your online presence, pushing further internet traffic towards your business and helping to keep them there. A strong web presence can do a lot of good for your business, so you should definitely consider the benefits of such reviews when planning your customer service regime.
- Creates an Emotional Bond. Finally, this broad positivity that your business evokes in its customers can often develop into a strong emotional bond between your customers and the business. Much like the loyalty that other customers feel, this bond will drive your customers to support your brand in any way that they are able.
Integral to Business Longevity
Finally, the last aspect of customer service that makes it absolutely integral to business is that all these different effects have a bearing on the longevity of your business. The more loyal customers and cash cows that your company has, the longer it will be able to last.
- Impact of Positive Reputation. The positive reputation that is caused by loyal and cheerful customers has an effect on the bearing of an entire business, making the business itself seem more desirable than competitors and adding to its worth.
- Worth of Satisfaction. Similarly, customer satisfaction is a brilliant selling point for any business and especially one that has made effective customer service a focus.
- Value of Security. Additionally, the sense of security that customers feel knowing there is a lifeline that they can call to solve any issues they might run into adds to the loyalty of customers and makes it far more likely they will stick with a business for a long time.