Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Last Updated on April 4, 2013 by Work In My Pajamas
Although many of us will graduate college, it is only a matter of time before much of what we’ve learned has become obsolete. While paying for college classes to keep up is ideal, you can still accomplish much from the comfort of your own home for free. However, special care is needed when finding content with correct information. Here is how you can avoid looking foolish and increase your knowledge.
1. Research the Site – While many reputable websites will show on the first page of a search result, questionable sites can as well. Sometimes, forums will be the best location to find quality sites, or finding information regarding the site you are researching.
2. Apps Galore – There are many apps you can download that could be beneficial to furthering your knowledge. Becoming a RSS subscriber to a website that promotes your specialty could offer additional knowledge while you are on the go on your mobile device.
3. Practice Makes Perfect – Putting your education into practice outside of the workplace could keep it fresh in your mind. Researching other methods to accomplish your goals could give insight into what you could possibly be missing.
4. Bookmark It – If you find a website that offers excellent content for your specialty, don’t forget to add it to your bookmarks. A method of keeping those links cleaned up on your browser is to add a special folder specifically for your educational purposes.
5. Participate – Joining a forum community gives you the opportunity to share your knowledge to help someone else, or learn something new while communicating with someone who has further knowledge of the specialty. This will give you the chance to help someone find an answer while finding one yourself.
6. Google It – One of the greatest tools in furthering your education is Google. A library of information is at your fingertips in the form of search results.
7. Notes – A popular method of retaining information you find within the Internet is note taking. Writing as you learn is a proven method to assist in retention of information as you have to think about the material you are writing about.
The Internet is a vast sea of knowledge shared by millions. Whether you are looking to pay for certifiable education or are looking for a method on self-teaching, the information is there for the taking. Mobile devices only make furthering education easier by allowing you to study on your own time, anywhere.
Author Bio: Nancy provides feedback on all elements of the site “www.enannysource.com” helping us to really make sure that we are making it as easy as possible for caregivers to sign up and find work. In addition, she spends quite a bit of her time on freelance writing tasks.